USDOT Registration

FMCSA monitors and ensures compliance with motor carrier safety (all carriers) and commercial (for-hire, non-exempt carriers) regulations. Companies may be subject to registration requirements for both safety (safety registration) and commercial regulation (operating authority registration). Companies subject to the safety requirements are also required to obtain a USDOT Number.


To help you better understand the registration process for your moving company and obtaining your DOT number, I have compiled a list of relevant links from the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) website. These links will direct you to the official resources where you can access detailed information and begin the registration process:

  1. USDOT Number and Hazardous Materials Safety Permit Registration:

    • Official FMCSA Link: Do I Need a USDOT Number?
    • This page will help you determine if your moving company requires a USDOT number and if you need a Hazardous Materials Safety Permit (HMSP) based on the nature of your operations.
  2. Operating Authority (MC Number):

    • Official FMCSA Link: Get MC Number (Authority to Operate)
    • This link provides guidance on obtaining your Operating Authority (MC Number) if your moving company is involved in interstate commerce and acts as a broker, freight forwarder, or carrier of household goods.
  3. Apply Online via the Unified Registration System (URS):

  4. Apply via the L&I Public Site:

    • Official FMCSA Link: L&I Public Site Registration
    • If you already have a USDOT number or operating authority and need to make updates or modifications, this link will guide you through the application process via the Licensing and Insurance (L&I) Public Site.
  5. Insurance Requirements:

    • Official FMCSA Link: FMCSA Insurance Requirements
    • This page outlines the FMCSA’s insurance requirements for moving companies, helping you understand the minimum coverage needed to protect your business and customers.
  6. Determine State Notification/Registration Requirements:

    • Official Link: State and Tribal Governments
    • This link directs you to’s State and Tribal Governments page, where you can find information on individual state requirements for moving company registration and permits.
  7. New Entrant Safety Assurance Program:

    • Official FMCSA Link: New Entrant Safety Assurance Program
    • If your moving company is a new entrant, this program ensures compliance with FMCSA safety regulations and includes a safety audit.
  8. USDOT Number and Operating Authority Information:

    • Official FMCSA Link: Updating Your Registration
    • Once registered, this page provides guidance on maintaining and updating your USDOT number and operating authority information.

Please use the provided links to access the official FMCSA resources and initiate the registration process for your moving company. Remember to check the FMCSA website regularly for any updates or changes to the registration requirements and procedures. Good luck with your moving company venture!

Start Your Moving Company Today - Free 15-min Consultation